Russian Urban Art: History and Conflicts book takes the format of an opinion-based essay. The author, Igor Ponosov, examines the power of street art in Russia by exploring its historical background, extending from the avant-garde movements of the early twentieth century, to the non-conformists and the actionists of the twenty-first century. It is an attempt to analyze as well as expand the potential of Russian street art by sharing examples of significant and relevant art phenomena and processes. The book is first paper focused on Russian Urban Art in English.
200 x 150 mm.
Edition of 500 numbered copies
Published 2018, Moscow
The book includes 63 colorfull pictures with street works of Soviet/Russian artists and groups: Kazimir Malevich, Alexander Rodchenko, Collective Actions group, Oleg Kulik, Kirill KTO, Pasha 183, RUS crew, Timofey Radya, Partizaning group, 0331C, Alexey Luka, Dmitri Aske and many others.
- Entering the Public space
The Avant-garde, Soviet Muralism, Non-conformism
Urban Performance and Moscow Actionism
- The Expansion of Western Culture
Hip Hop in the USSR
Finding New Graffiti Forms. Russian Street Art
- The Rebirth of Urban Art in Russia
Protest Movements and Socially-Engaged Art
- Institutional Street Art projects
Festivals, Exhibitions and Political Murals
Buy it in Russia
Urban Books / Online
Республика / Online / Moscow, St Petersburg, Yekaterinburg
Garage / Online / Moscow, Gorky park, Krymskiy val, 9/32
Подписные издания / Online / St Petersburg, Liteyni, 57
Все свободны / Online / St Petersburg, nab. reki Moyki, 28, second yard
Buy it worldwide
Le Grand Jeu / Online / Paris, Fluctuart, port du Gros Caillou, 2
Urban Spree / Online / Berlin, Revaler str., 99
Neurotitan / Berlin, im Haus Schwarzenberg, Rosenthaler Straße 39
Colab gallery / Weil am Rhein, Schusterinsel 9
Book launches in 2019
Book launches in 2018
June, 15th / 8pm // Tartu, Estonia /// Stencibility festival
June, 23rd / 5:30pm // Besançon, France /// Unlock book fair
July, 3rd / 6:30pm // Paris, France /// Le Grand Jeu bookstore
September, 14th / 6:00pm // Krakow, Poland /// Warsztat space
October, 27th / 5:30pm // Helsinki, Finland /// Kalasataman Vapaakaupunki Space
December, 16th / 6:00pm // Berlin, Germany /// Neurotitan gallery
About the author
Igor Ponosov (b. 1980) – russian artist, activist, curator and researcher focused on urban art and activism. Igor currently lives and works in Moscow. He published Objects, a series of three books on street art in Russia and the former Soviet Union. Igor co-curated The Wall, a project based at Winzavod, Moscow. He co-founded Partizaning.org, a platform for exchange among activists, artists and urbanists. He curated the Delai Sam (DIY) festival, which focused on grassroots initiatives and activism in Russia. Igor is the author of the book Art and the City, for which he received The Sergey Kuryokhin Contemporary Art Award (St Petersburg) for Best Text on Contemporary Art category, in 2016.
- An introduction of the book through author's personal story on Partizaning.
- Exploring the Urban Leitmotif Throughout the Long History of the Art in Russia – Book review by Kristina Borhes on Medium.
- How Russian avant-garde artists created urban art in the country – Article based on part of the book on Russia Beyond.
- Browsing Through the First Book About Russian Urban Art in English – Interview with Igor Ponosov on Widewalls.
- Безъязыкая улица уже не корчится? – Book review by Andrey Rymar in Russian on The Art News Paper Russia.
- Igor Ponosov Enlightens with "Russian Urban Art: History and Conflicts" – Book review on Brooklyn Street Art.